I’ve always had an interest in interior Design, as a teenager I would watch back to back episodes of Changing Rooms (how good was that show??!), I remember feeling completely inspired by Linda Barker and Anna Ryder Richardson’s creations and wishing I could have a go! However, it wasn’t until my husband and I bought our first property that I found myself completely falling in love with the challenge of designing and decorating spaces. It’s become such a passion of mine lately and I’m now forever watching interior programmes such as The Great Interior Design Challenge (my fav!) and DIY SOS, scribbling down new ideas for furnishings and colour schemes.
Recently I was faced with what was to be my biggest interior project yet, our new home! In April we moved from our Victorian upper villa flat to a sweet little 70’s bungalow, that used to belong to my late grandma. As lovingly furnished and memory filled as the house was when we moved in, it was in need of modernisation, personalisation and a colour pop or two…or, as I said to my husband “it needs Rachy-fied”.
The darkest room was the single bedroom (my daughter’s room). The reason for this was it had green carpets, green walls, a dark oak window frame and it’s also a very small sized space. This was the room in the house I was most excited about, as it was the most challenging out of all of them, and I do love a challenge!
When I started to design Lottie’s room I knew I wanted to brighten it up as much as possible and open it up so it seemed much bigger. I decided that the only way I could achieve this was by doing a few things. These were as follows: Painting the walls fresh pastel colours; adding fun wall stickers; creating a geometric design on the back wall; painting the oak window frame white; replacing the carpet with white laminate flooring; adding a large rug and laying it vertically; adding a super colourful chest for Lottie’s clothes and books; keeping the furniture to a minimal and accessorising the room with the most colourful of homewares out there from some my favourite brands (including my own :))!
Below is a list of some of the products I have used in Lottie’s room and a link to where you can buy them.
- Walls – Dulux Matt Wall Paint, Pretty Pink and Lemon Tropics (www.dulux.co.uk)
- Flooring – Balterio Laminate Off White Oak (www.balterio.com)
- Triangle Wall Stickers – The Lovely Wall Co (www.the-lovely-wall-company.shopify.com)
- Cat Cushion – Jane Foster (www.janefoster.co.uk)
- Ceramic Bunny – Camila Prada (www.camilaprada.com)
- Yoko Print – Rachel Powell (www.racheljpowell.com)
- Pink Polka Dot Rug – Aldi (www.aldi.co.uk)
- Chest – Maisons Du Monde (www.masionsdumonde.com)
- Deer Plush Wall Mount – Kelsey Davis Design (www.kelseydavisdesign.com)
- Personalised Print (www.notonthehighstreet.com)
- Free Stitched Cloud – My own!
- Wall Letters – Next Home (www.next.co.uk)
Rachel x x
(P.s. keep your eyed peeled for a feature on our previous home in September’s Homestyle Magazine, out next month!)